Sober and imposing, with classic architecture typical of the 19th century, the Palace has a facade divided into three bodies, with the central body surmounted by a triangular pediment, in the middle of which were the Portuguese corners, round arch spans on the facades, and a plateau dominating the whole the front.
To mention, in the central part of the work of this Palace, the body topped by the pediment, the noble, protruding and curvy contour balcony.
On the whole, it follows the current type of representative architecture practiced by Public Works in the second half of the 19th century.
Whoever entered the bay of Mocamedes, making themselves transported by any vessel, trawler or vessel, immediately realized the presence of this Palace, located to the west of the city, located on a high ground (some 20 meters above sea level) ), Dominating the entire bay, in the continuity of the hill of Fortaleza de S. Fernando (hill of São Fernando, formerly Ponta Negra), which extends to the Torre do Tombo.
Until the 1950s, the Parish Church of Santo Adrião was a little more to the south, and further on, completing Avenida Felner, a set of small wooden houses for civil servants, and Hospital D. Amélia, with its central body and side wooden pavilions, demolished from the 1950s onwards, to make way for public buildings of modern construction.
Fernando da Costa Leal (1854-1959), the fifth Governor of Mozambique, the city became due to the construction of this Palace, whose work began in 1858, in its order, and which was considered, at the time of its conclusion, in 1889, the best regional palace in all Portuguese Overseas, in the same way that it was due to the young and dynamic Governor, the construction of the first public buildings in Mocamedes, as well as the first urbanization plan.
Sober and imposing, with classic architecture typical of the 19th century, the Palace boasts a divi divided into three bodies, the central body surmounted by a triangular pediment, in the middle of which were the Portuguese corners, round arch spans on the facades, and a plateau dominating the entire front.
To mention, in the central part of the work of this Palace, the body topped by the pediment, the noble, protruding and curvy contour balcony. On the whole, it follows the current type of representative architecture practiced by Public Works in the second half of the 19th century. Thus Cunha Moraes refers, in his "Álbum Fotografico Descriptivo", published around 1888, a year before the conclusion of the works: "... the central body has three bay windows, with a curved balcony. The main door has 1 , 50 m by 3 m high, the flags of the doors and windows are semi-circular, in each of the lateral bodies there are four balcony windows on the first floor, and three with sill and a door at each end of the ground floor. four sides of the building have a total of 4 windows, 11 of which are balconies and 29 have breasts, 7 of which lie on the projected garden.
" Started in 1858, and completed thirty-one years later, already under the government of Luís Leitão Xavier, in 1889, the lack of manpower that had to be recruited from the Metropolis, as well as the lack of of materials suitable for the finishes, since the existing ones did not meet the requirements of such a construction.
Everything came from outside in these times of complicated locomotion, in which the region of Mozambique was lacking in specialized labor, and the natives resisted integration, leading a nomadic and semi-nomadic life, they did not accept any occupation other than the ancestral ambulation through the desert in search of water and pastures for their cattle.
It was after the formation of the social group "quimbar", the Africans docked in Mozambique, constituted by Africans from the most diverse points of the territory, and belonging to the most different ethnic groups, at first slaves freed from seized slave ships, sent to Mozambique to help the Mozambicans. needs of manpower, that the panorama of a great lack of unskilled, but extremely necessary labor began to change gradually, slaves and the contracting regime.
As for technicians with knowledge, they continued to be recruited from the Metropolis. As if that were not enough, for unknown reasons, this Palace was almost completely destroyed by a fire, which occurred on May 26, 1899, 10 years after its conclusion, as stated in an existing note in the Civil Administration of Mozambique.
The walls remained upright, and remained exposed to the weather for another 20 years, until finally, in the time of Norton de Matos, in the exercise of High Commissioner of the Republic for the colony of Angola (1921 to 1924), the work of recovery has been completed.
Source : mossamedesdoantigmente