The Catholic Mission of Bimbe, currently called Janjo, is geographically located to the north of Huambo Province in the Municipality of Bailundo 75 km from the municipal headquarters, in the Commune of Luvemba and from the provincial headquarters at 150 km, bordering Kwanza- Su
The Bimbe Catholic Mission, currently called Janjo, is geographically located to the north of Huambo Province in the Municipality of Bailundo at 75 km from the municipal headquarters, in the Commune of Luvemba and from the provincial headquarters at 50 km, bordering Kwanza- South. Passing through Alto-Hama, it is about 95 Kms from the municipal headquarters of Bailundo. Given the distance that Christians traveled by going to the Bailundo Mission to fulfill their duties there, there was a need for the foundation of the new Mission, called Bimbe, which facilitated in a way the more active participation of Christians in liturgical acts and integral formation of the human person.
It was founded by the late Reverend Father José Feltin. At the time it included the territory of the Administration of the Commune of Bimbe, Hengue and a part of the Municipality of Londwimbale namely Cumbila and Galanga. When Father founded the Mission, he was received by Soba Ecumba and the Pili century. He lived in Bailundo and left there to evangelize the people of the Mission since he arrived in Angola in 1924. His dedication and pastoral zeal were also seen in his vicar Fathers Kernevez and Father Emílio Gaeter.
In 1937 the founding Father of the Mission was transferred to the Catholic Mission of the Canhe, later he went to France his birthplace for health reasons and was replaced by Father José Baur, being alone in the mission. Then came Father Le Guennec who worked, continuing his missionary work for so many years and died in 1960; was buried in the cemetery of this Mission. Today in the cemetery we find three tombs of the missionaries who came to evangelize: Father José Baur, Father Gregório Le Guennec and Father Emílio Gaerthner.
From 1929 to 1970 the Mission had 45,000 Catholic Christians. From 1929, when the Mission was founded until 1976, the following Fathers gave their best in the cause of the gospel: José Feltin, Valente, Emílio, Le Guennec, Baur, Adolfo, Moreira, Castilho Cabral, Mendes, Jacob, Abel, José Dias Founder of the Hengue Mission, Pedro and Fr. Faustino Felo. Fr. Faustino Feio was the last to pass this Mission before the war started. He arrived in 1972 to assist Fr. Mendes. Then Fr. Felo leaves and remains alone for two (2) years and begins the war that destroyed the Mission. In 1976 Fr. Felo and the sisters left the Mission due to the greater political turmoil that was plaguing the country. From then on, the Mission began to be destroyed by the effects of the war. Nobody passed there anymore because it was the battlefield. The image of the Mission Church infrastructure in question shows how beautiful it was. As if that were not enough, it was one of the largest churches and architectural in Africa.
The roof collapsed in 1979 through the crash of bombs that fell around the Mission. After the signing of the peace agreements of May 31, 1991 in Portugal - Bissesse, the Mission was assisted spiritually by Father Moreira with a happy memory that always came from Bailundo. For having accumulated many pastoral activities, he suspended spiritual assistance in 1994, since he was responsible for the Bailundo Mission - Hanga, Hengue Mission, Mungo Mission - Monte Alegre and Kayumbuka Mission. At the end of 1997, the Archdiocese of Huambo formed a mobile missionary team that visited abandoned missions. The team now formed was composed of the following Fathers: Fr. Mateus Feliciano Tomás with happy memory, First Bishop of Namibe, Fr. José Maria Kavinokeka also with happy memory, Fr. José Tchitumba, Fr. José Maria da Kunha, Fr. Marcial Benjamim, Fr. Emílio Sasoma and Fr. António Mário Vigário Geral of the Archdiocese as responsible and supervisor of the missionary group of the mobile team. Thus, the mission in question, from 1997 to 1998, was contemplated by this team, which also came to suspend for starting another political-military conflict in 1998. With the Luena-Moxico peace agreement memorandum of 4 April 2002, the country live again the smile of peace that had been lost. God Blessed Angola.
For this reason, the mobile team resumed its pastoral activities in the same year of the peace agreements until 2005, in which Mr. Archbishop Dom José de Queirós Alves appointed the Most Reverend Father Fr. Evaristo Costa Vianga as Pastor of this Mission. In the midst of so many difficulties, the Mission begins to be rebuilt, starting with the residence of the Fathers. Fr. Evaristo Costa Vianga Worked alone in this Mission until June 27, 2007 when Mr. Archbishop appoints the parish Vicar of this Mission (Fr. Alberto Graciano Sambundu, current Parish Priest of the Mission). The two worked until 1 June 2008.
That same year, for obvious reasons, the parish priest was forced to leave the Mission, leaving the parish Vicar alone until September 12, 2009. The Bishop sent other Fathers to assist the deputy Parish Priest of the Mission.
Thus, the parish priest was assisted by the two priests: Fr Francisco Loneke and Fr. Albino Pakisi. Having transferred Fr. Francisco Loneke to the parish of Ukuma, Fr. Albino Pakisi remains as parish Vicar of the Mission and the one who was Vicar started to act as Parish Priest of the Mission by the appointment of the Archbishop of Huambo. In 2011, Fr. Alcino H. Tchingueta Epalanga arrives to assist the parish priest. After his transfer to the Major Seminary of Philosophy, that is, in 2012 Fr. Amílcar Sapitango Jamba arrives as vicar of the Mission, in the same year. In turn, he was transferred to the Parish of Vila-Nova (Tchikala-Tcholohanga) in 2013.
On March 10, 2013, Deacon Francisco Tchimuku Mwenho arrives and who, after his priestly ordination, exercised the functions of Parish Vicar in this Mission, until his departure from the same Mission, on the 8th of March when he is transferred to the Monte Alegre Mission. On March 15, 2015, the Most Reverend Father Abílio Henrique Lupenha arrives, as Parish Vicar of the Mission in question. Still in 2013, the Mothers of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Blessed Savior arrived to reopen the female community closed in 1975, because of the war since they arrived at this mission in 1936 at the request of the founding Father of this Mission. They came with the same spirit of work for which Fr. José Feltin, founder, wished to have in the Mission, as soon as that Congregation was called to Luanda Hospital. They are giving continuity to the missionary work, they welcome with open arms all the sick who turn to them and in the promotion of women, giving domestic classes, and not only ... Little by little, the life of the Mission begins to transform.