The Cine-Teatro Monumental is the oldest cinema in the city of Benguela. It was built during the 1950s, designed by the architect Fernando Batalha. It opened on June 10, 1952, with a screening of the film Teresa Venerdi, by Vittorio de Sica. Initially, it expected a capacity of more than 1000 people: 884 seats in the audience, 416 at the counter, 16 frisas and nine cabins. For years, it was the only cinema in Benguela. After independence, it became the property of the State.
The Angolan Civil War, however, led to its closure in the 1980s. It only reopened in 2004, when ex-footballer Osvaldo Cruz (known as Joni), after finishing his playing career, invested in the renovation of the building and signed an exploration contract with Empresa Distribuidora e Exibidora de Cinema (Edecine). The first film projected after the reopening was Matrix, in DVD format.